10.18.2010

Convenientally Green

Wow, I must be the worst blogger ever - it's been 2 months since I started blogging and this is only my second post! My life is so busy, I feel like I never have time to just sit down and type out a post. And if I do find myself with that kind of time, I'd rather be spending it cuddled on the couch with the bf watching a movie. And I suppose it would be easier to act that way when it comes to living a "greener" lifestyle. Sometimes it's just more convenient not to try.

But then I remind myself why I'm trying so hard. Why I recycle. Why I constantly unplug everything. Why I buy only green products. Because I believe my efforts, no matter how small, make a difference. I recycle so that my consumer waste doesn't sit in a landfill and emit methane and carbon dioxide gases for the next hundred years. It may not be convenient for me to go to the recylcing center with piles of recyclables from my house, my parents house and the salon I work at, but I do it monthly. And perhaps having to plug the microwave or toaster back in first before each use may be a bit tedious, but I do it daily because it saves energy. I use power strips for the bigger electronics, like the TV and it's many components, to make the unplugging easier. And although buying the energy efficient light bulbs or our new energy star/high efficiency washer and dryer (which I am in LOVE with) may be more expensive, they will help save energy and money in the long run.

So here's my conclusion: when I'm feeling lazy and thinking about throwing just one bottle out instead of recycling it, I remind myself it will only take a few seconds more to rinse the bottle out and drop it in a different container. Because what might be "inconvenient" for me at times, will definitely be beneficial for the World.




A few pictures of my monthly cardboard/magazine/newspaper collection from my house, my parents house, and the salon. And then the center where I take it all to be recycled.

No comments:

Post a Comment